On Sunday, June 7, the historic UNR high school invites current and former students to meet.

On June 1st, the Libertador General San Martín Higher School of Commerce celebrated its 130th anniversary. To commemorate this milestone, a series of activities has been organized to bring together the entire school community, including alumni, teachers, families, and friends of the institution.

The main celebration will take place next Sunday, June 7, starting at 9:30 a.m. at the entrance of the Faculty of Economic Sciences and Statistics, the building that served as the school's historic headquarters between 1913 and 1969. From there, a special day will begin, filled with memories, gatherings, and collective celebration.

The event invites participants to walk or cycle and to add a blue or light blue accessory to complement the activity. During the first part of the morning, attendees can choose between two activities: a bike ride to the Davis Silos and back to the "Supe" (a local school), or a walk to the school to tour its facilities and share memories related to student life.

At 10:30 a.m. a symbolic embrace is planned and, around 11:00 a.m., all activities will converge in front of the school building, located at Balcarce 1240, where the celebration will continue with music, reunions, stands and different proposals to enjoy in community.

Furthermore, the institution is promoting a collaborative initiative to reconstruct part of its history through the memories of those who passed through its classrooms. The invitation is to bring photos, notebooks, publications, or other objects related to their secondary school years, which will form part of a collective wall that will remain on display at the school for a while, and whose images will also be shared on social media.

With 130 years of history, the Higher School of Commerce thus reaffirms its place as an emblematic institution of the city and a space deeply linked to the affective memory of generations of students.

An emblematic institution of the city

The history of the Libertador General San Martín Higher School of Commerce dates back to the late 19th century. In 1893, the Normal School for Men, relocated from the city of Santa Fe and dedicated to teacher training, operated on the upper floor of the old courthouse building (now the Law School). Two years later, its director at the time, Professor Argüelles, recognized the need for Rosario to have an institution focused on commercial education. This initiative, coupled with declining enrollment at the Normal School, led to its transformation.

Thus, on June 1, 1896, the Higher School of Commerce officially began its activities with an initial enrollment of 26 students. Just one year later, enrollment had risen to 124 students, reflecting the rapid growth and demand for this type of training in a rapidly expanding city. The first curriculum comprised two years of strictly commercial training and one preparatory year.

In 1913 the emblematic building at 1251 Oroño Boulevard was inaugurated —current headquarters of the Faculty of Economic Sciences and Statistics— where daytime courses for Commercial Experts and nighttime courses for Bookkeepers, Accountants and Calligraphers were taught.

Institutional life continued to strengthen, and in 1916, the School's first Student Center was established. That same year, its statutes were drafted, and the first issue of "Horizontes," a technical, commercial, literary, and informative magazine promoted by the educational community, was published.

Three years later, in 1919, the creation of the Universidad Nacional del Litoral This marked another fundamental milestone. Building upon the School's solid track record (which already boasted 24 years of activity, over 600 students, and numerous graduates), the Faculty of Economic Sciences was founded. Those graduates also became the first Certified Public Accountants in the region.

In 1950, within the framework of the centenary of the death of General José de San Martín, declared "Year of the Liberator General San Martín", the institution officially adopted the name that it retains to this day.

There was a huge celebration for the 100th anniversary.

The creation of the Universidad Nacional de RosarioThe enactment of Law 17.987 on November 29, 1968, marked a new era for the institution. Following a decree issued by the National Executive Branch on May 5, 1970, the School became part of the National University of Rosario (UNR), along with the then National Higher Industrial Institute, now the Higher Polytechnic Institute. Shortly before, on August 17, 1969, the current building at 1240 Balcarce Street had been officially inaugurated, where it continues its activities.

Today, the Higher School of Commerce has around 1450 students at the secondary and tertiary levels, establishing itself as one of Rosario's most emblematic educational institutions. In addition to traditional English and French instruction, it offers optional Portuguese workshops and the opportunity to obtain international certifications through agreements with various educational institutions in the city.

The academic program also includes workshops in Robotics, Film, Theater, Chess, Programming, Creative Reading and Writing, among other initiatives aimed at promoting a well-rounded education. Furthermore, the institution regularly participates in competitions, contests, and Olympiads, distinguishing itself through its academic excellence and the commitment of its educational community.

In terms of infrastructure, all classrooms are air-conditioned, and the building offers high-coverage Wi-Fi, specialized spaces for computer science, art, and languages, hybrid classrooms, and a state-of-the-art laboratory. It also features accessible facilities designed to ensure the full development of academic activities for the entire educational community.

Journalist: Gonzalo J. García / Photographer: Ramiro Ortega.